New series



I've started a new series which is both exciting and nerve-wracking. I tend to get this rush of energy when I come up with a new idea, but I have to be careful not to get ahead of myself. I love that feeling of "want"--the desire to write about photo setups in my journal, mulling over where I want the series to go, taking my camera out and actually shooting. But anxiety comes up due to my impatience. Already I'm thinking ahead to the process of editing, and, most panic-producing of all, worrying about getting it onto my website. Which I realize is a crazy place to go in my mind when I'm not even quite sure of where the work is headed yet. I need to allow myself to be in that space where I'm simply creating and not jump to how it will all come together in the end. Somehow or other it usually does come together, if the enthusiasm is there from the beginning, and I do feel passionate about my latest idea. Above are a few images, not retouched to perfection yet, but you get the idea. I really am a perfectionist, so I also need to allow myself some room to post images that haven't been tweaked to the point where I'm completely happy with them; if I waited to show the new photographs until they were all ready to go I'd never get anything up here. I'm trying to be open to not overdoing things on this blog, forgive myself in advance for any grammatical mistakes and not overthink every sentence and every post. I'm obsessive-compulsive by nature (everything in its place, neat and tidy, you get the idea) and I'm trying to let that go a bit so that I actually have a chance to process my thoughts about my work and my images in a public forum. 

Comments

Popular Posts