And now for something creepy:

© Frank Greenaway

Considering my past and recent experiences with hermit crab deaths--and the fingernails-down-my-spine feeling I get from seeing one out of his/her/its shell--the picture above completely and totally freaks me out. Marine biologists in New Zealand are apparently using glass shells to study crabs' habits. Found via Next Nature, one of my favorite non-photo blogs; in turn Next Nature found it via Madscientistnz (which is a good read as well) who has an interesting post on the controversy (who knew?) sparked by the photograph (see the comments her/his original post generated--I'm rather amazed people are so passionate about hermit crabs...Sorry Lila and Jed, we done you wrong).

P.S. The image was taken by wildlife photographer Frank Greenaway.

Comments

Popular Posts