The day after

Ok, so I was more than a bit hokey in my Threshold post from a couple of days ago, I'll admit it. I tend to get pretty nostalgic toward the end of the year and I was in a wordy mood. I've had a touch of OCD all my life, which is great for keeping all the books on tabletops at right angles, but it also makes me become quite superstitious around symbolic dates. I'm fairly skeptical in general, but I also have this side that really believes in the whole Buddhist-spiritual self-improvement thing and it comes on particularly strong in the week between Christmas and the New Year. In the last few days I've written what I'd like to let go of and what I hope for in 2009 on little squares of paper that I burned; at midnight I repeated the names of my family members in order to keep them safe; and I even considered going for the full hippie burning-of-sage to rid my house of any bad juju accumulated over the year, but never got around to it...

One thing I will say: 2008 brought the formation of this blog, which has been a wonderful way to tap into my love of writing and to show new photographs with more freedom than my website allows. I think it's changed the way I relate to my work in ways I couldn't have anticipated, and it's given me the opportunity to make some wonderful connections with other artists, facilitating a dialog that I don't think would have been possible otherwise. I'm very grateful to have this format to work in, and am interested to see what the medium will do for photography in general as time passes. All in all, I woke up this morning with the conviction that 2009 is going to be a great year, while honoring all that I experienced and learned in 2008. And now I'll sign off, before I get over the top again.

Comments

Liz Kuball said…
I think we all get a little over the top at the end of the year, unless we're too cool for school about it and go the opposite way, in which case, we're really still over the top, just in the opposite direction (which probably doesn't make any sense). It's natural is all I'm saying.

When I was 10, I went around the house collecting all the white plastic hangers and assembled them in my closet, ridding it of wire hangers or wood hangers or blue plastic or pink. I had to have all white hangers, all the same size, in order for my world to make sense. OCD for sure.

I've really enjoyed getting to know you a little bit via the blog world, and I hope we're able to meet up in person sometime in 2009. If you're ever out in California, let me know, and I'll do the same next time I'm in New York. Happy new year!
Sheri Reed said…
looking forward to enjoying more of your blog and photos in 2009.
Tegan Henry said…
i am really appreciating your honesty, simple but eloquent wording and uniquely graceful images. thank you for offering something a little bit different to the blog world for mothers, and others.
Liz, I have all white hangers, all the same size! And I have black ones for James. We share some OCD quirks, I love it. I've also really enjoyed our correspondence, and hope we'll get to meet face-to-face. Maybe this is our year for Review Santa Fe?

Sheri, Thanks. Likewise on your various online endeavors.

And soulyluna, I'm very flattered by your words, thank you. I just had a look at your blog and being someone who has no talent for sewing or the like it was great to see your creations. And thanks too for the mention in one of your posts, the term super-mother is enormously flattering as well--

Happy New Year to all of you!

Popular Posts